Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Clark, J., Lowitt, K., Levkoe, C., & Andrée, P. (2020). The power to convene: Making sense of the power of food movement organizations in governance processes in the Global North. Agriculture and Human Values. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10460-020-10146-1
- Lowitt, K., Levkoe, C., Spring, A., Turlo, C., Williams, P., Bird, S., Sayers, D., & Simba, M. (2020). Empowering small-scale, community-based fisheries through a food systems framework. Marine Policy 120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2020.104150
- Lowitt, K., Levkoe, C., & Nelson, C. (2019). Where are the fish? Using a fish as food framework to explore the Thunder Bay Area fisheries. Northern Review 49,
- Lowitt, K., Johnston-Weiser,
D., Lauzon, R., Keeshig, J., & Hickey, G. (2018). On food security and
access to fish in the Saugeen Ojibway Nation, Lake Huron, Canada. Journal of
Great Lakes Research 44(1), 174-183.
- Levkoe, C.*, Lowitt, K.*, & Nelson, C. (2017). “Fish as food”: Exploring a food
sovereignty approach to small-scale fisheries. Marine Policy 85, 65-70.
*joint lead authors
- Rahman, H.M.T., St. Ville, A., Song, A., Po, J., Berthet, E.,
Brammer, J., Brunet, N., Jayaprakash, L., Lowitt,
K., Rastogi, A., Reed, G., & Hickey, G. (2017). A framework for analyzing institutional gaps in
natural resource governance. International Journal of the Commons 11(2),
- Lowitt, K. Saint Ville, A., Keddy, C., Hickey, G., & Phillip, L. (2016). Challenges and opportunities for more integrated regional food security policy in the Caribbean Community. Regional Studies, Regional Science 3(1), 368-378.
- Lowitt, K., Saint Ville, A., Lewis, P., & Hickey, G. (2015). Environmental change and food security: The special case of Small Island Developing States. Regional Environmental Change 15(7), 1293-1298.
- Lowitt, K., Hickey, G., Ganpat, W., & Phillip, L. (2015). Linking communities of practice with value chain development in smallholder farming systems. World Development 74, 363-373.
- Lowitt, K., Hickey, G., Saint Ville., A., Raeburn, K., Thompson-Colon, T., Laszlo, S., & Phillip, L. (2015). Factors affecting the innovation potential of smallholders farmers in the Caribbean Community. Regional Environmental Change 15(7), 1367-1377.
- Lowitt, K. (2014). A coastal foodscape: Examining the relationships between changing fisheries and community food security. Ecology and Society 19(3), 48.
- Lowitt, K. (2014). Reflections on "As we fish and farm": A radio documentary. Canadian Food Studies.
- Lowitt, K. (2013).
Examining fisheries contributions to community food security: Findings from a household seafood consumption survey on
the west coast of Newfoundland. Journal
of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition 8(2), 221-241.
- Lowitt, K., Nagy, M., Nelson, C., & Bavington, D. (2013). Where's the fish? Alternatives Journal 39(4).
- Nelson, C., Lowitt, K., Nagy, M., & Bavington, D.
(2013). Research commentary: Future research
approaches to encourage small-scale fisheries in the local food
movement. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development 3(4).
- Lowitt, K. (2012). The
reinvention and performance of traditional Newfoundland foodways in culinary tourism in the Bonne Bay region. Newfoundland and Labrador Studies 27(1).
- Lowitt, K. (2010). Exploring connections among people, places, and food in three Nova Scotia farmers’ markets. Cuizine 2(3).
Peer-reviewed book chapters
- Connell, J.*, Lowitt, K.*, Saint Ville, A., & Hickey, G. (2020). Food security and sovereignty in small island developing states: Contemporary crises and challenges. In Connell, J. & Lowitt, K. (Eds.), Food Security in Small Island States (pp.1-23). Springer. *joint lead authors
- Lowitt, K., Levkoe, C., Lauzon, R., Ryan, K. & Sayers, D. (2019). Indigenous self-determination and food sovereignty through fisheries governance in the Great Lakes Region. In Andrée, P., Clark, J., Levkoe, C., & Lowitt, K. (Eds.), Civil Society and Social Movements in Food System Governance. Routledge Press. Available open access here.
- Lowitt, K., Levkoe, C., Song, A., Hickey, G., & Nelson, C. (2019). Broadening the scope: Fisheries and place-based food systems in the Lake Superior region. In Chuenpagdee, R. & Jentoft, S. (Eds.), Transdisciplinarity for Small-Scale Fisheries Governance. Springer Nature.
- Lowitt, K. & Neis, B. (2018). The retail
food environment and household food provisioning strategies in the rural region of Bonne Bay on
Newfoundland’s west coast. Keske, C., (Ed.), Newfoundland Food
Futures Anthology (pp. 213-233). St John's, NL: ISER Books.
- Lowitt, K., Gray-Donald, K.,
Hickey, G., Saint Ville, A., Ganderson, I., Madramootoo, C., Phillip, L. (2018).
The obesity pandemic
& food insecurity in developing countries: A case study from the Caribbean.
In Karpyn, A., (Ed.), Food and Public Health. Oxford University Press.
- Lowitt, K., Mount, P., Khan, A., & Clement, C.
(2016). Governing challenges for local food systems:
Emerging lessons from agriculture and fisheries. In Anderson, C., Brady, J. & Levkoe C. (Eds.), Conversations in Food
Studies (pp. 125-127). Winnipeg, MB: University of Manitoba Press.
- Lowitt, K. (2011). Fish and fisheries in the evolution of Newfoundland foodways. In Chuenpagdee, R.,(Ed.), World small-scale fisheries: Contemporary visions (pp.117-131). The Netherlands: Eburon Academic Publishers.
Books and special issues
- Connell, J. & Lowitt, K. (Editors). (2020). Food Security in Small Island States. Springer. (Compiled from previously published material).
- Andrée, P., Clark, J., Levkoe, C., & Lowitt, K. (Editors). (2019). Civil Society and Social Movements in Food System Governance. Routledge Studies in Food, Society and the Environment. Available open access here.
- Lowitt, K., Hickey, G.M., Saint Ville, A. & Lewis, P. (Guest Editors of Special Issue). (2015). Environmental Change and Food Security: The special case of Small Island Developing States. Regional Environmental Change 15(7).
- Lowitt, K. (2020). [Review of the book Indigenous Food Systems: Concepts, Cases and Conversations, Edited by P. Settee & S. Shukla]. Canadian Food Studies 7(1), 178-180.
- Lowitt, K. (2017). [Review of the book Globalization, agriculture and food in the Caribbean, Edited by C. Beckford & K. Rhiney]. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development 7(2).
Reports, briefs, and popular research contributions
- Lowitt, K. & Levkoe, C. (2020, May 6). Keeping fish local can help feed communities and support economies. The Conversation Canada. Available online https://theconversation.com/keeping-fish-local-can-help-feed-communities-and-support-economies-135613
- Levkoe, C. & Lowitt, K. (2019, May 22). Indigenous self-determination and food sovereignty through fisheries governance in the Great Lakes Region. Blog post. Food: Locally Embedded Globally Engaged (FLEdGE). Available online https://fledgeresearch.ca/2019/05/29/indigenous-self-determination-and-food-sovereignty-through-fisheries-governance-in-the-great-lakes-region/
- Lowitt, K., Clark, K., & Andrée, P. (2019, April 24). Traversing theory & practice and the governance engagement continuum. Blog post. Available online https://fledgeresearch.ca/2019/04/24/traversing-theory-and-practice-and-the-governance-engagement-continuum/
- Lowitt, K., Johnston-Weiser, D., Lauzon, R. & Hickey, G. (2017). On food security and access to fish in the Saugeen Ojibway Nation: A Policy Brief. Prepared for Saugeen Ojibway Nation Joint Council.
- Contributing author to: Campbell, I.D., Durant D.G., Hunter, K.L. and Hyatt, K.D. (2014). Food production. In Warren, F.J. & Lemmen, D.S. (Eds.), Canada in a changing climate: Sector perspectives on impacts and adaptation (pp.99-134). Ottawa, ON: Government of Canada.